Wednesday, March 10, 2010

flowers

Two great ideas for budget-friendly flowers for the bridesmaids. My bouquet, of course, will be different. Haven't ruled out the button one yet, Meg!

Carnations and baby's breath. Seriously. (And not together).

Carnations:
I have always had an aversion to carnations. To me, they've always looked like cheap, filler funeral flowers. Well, guess what readers? I was WRONG! Carnations can be absolutely GORGEOUS when composed in the right way. Take a look at these photos.













How can I hate carnations now?

The pink bouquet above was made with flowers found at the local supermarket! Seriously! And since carnations cost about $0.65 per stem (where roses cost $1.15 and up), you can save a TON by using them.

Baby's Breath:
I know, you're all wondering if I've lost my mind. I have not, I assure you (though today is testing me). Baby's breath, like carnations, often get a bad rap. But, when allowed to shine alone in a bouquet, they are almost ethereal. They cost about $13.00 a bunch (with 10 to 12 stems), so they are also very economical. Another benefit is their hardy nature. You won't see these guys wilting after a few hours. No, sir! Check out this lovely bouquet.
I may have a florist do these, but they are totally DIY as well. I would recommend ordering flowers from Blooms by the Box, a site I found via another wedding blog.

3 comments:

  1. Time out! What happened to the button bouquet? I LOVED that idea!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, the baby's breath bouquet is totally growing on me. I didn't know if you'd seen this one. Thought it might be really pretty with the extra green to match your apples.
    http://media.theknot.com/ImageStage/Objects/0003/0032210/large_image.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Emmy! I love that one. I'm thinking the girls will carry those and I'll carry my button bouquet. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete