Friday, March 19, 2010

Bridesmaid dresses

I am having the HARDEST time picking these things out! Here's the deal: I want my girls to be able to wear them again. Yes, everyone says that about all dresses (particularly anything black and/or short), but it's very rarely true. Short dresses have the "casual" factor that lends them to being re-worn, but fabric has to be a consideration as well. For my three or four readers out there, I need your advice! Here are the "issues" I've been having.

1.) Length - one of the bridesmaids wants a long dress, but I had my heart set on short. I can't decide if longer will be better in case the weather turns off cold, if I should let them mix and match, or if I should just go with all one style in a cocktail length?

2.) Styles - my girls all have very different shapes. Should I pick a color and let them choose their dress? If I'm going with a non-David's bridesmaid dress, this lovely royal blue boatneck is my first choice. It's by Alfred Sung for Dessy. Most of my girls are "blessed", so I like that we won't have to worry about anything showing that isn't supposed to. If I go with a David's Bridal dress, my favorite can be found here (in Horizon).

3.) Fabric - Satin is so lovely in a wedding. It has that glamorous vibe that most women want for their attendants. However, I'm almost 100% positive that a royal blue satin dress will probably remain in a closet tomb once the big day has come and gone. BM Anna and I talked about a shantung, a fabric that looks like silk but is not. However, I can't find that in the color I want...sadness. So, I thought about a cotton sateen. This fabric is casual enough to be worn again, yet has a little bit of "sheen" to dress it up. I'm wearing a dress in this fabric for Libby and Edmound's wedding next month and I love the dress so much, I can't wait to wear it to work (with a black cardigan, of course!). Anna says that cotton sateen may be too much like Spring/Summer. What do you guys think?

So...I've rambled on enough for today. Any advice you future or former brides have would be much, much appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. I think the cotton sateen would be fine for fall. It has a good weight to it, and it looks beautiful. Now if you had said chiffon, that'd be another story. Another option could be to find fabric you like and a dress pattern, and have someone make their dresses. That could be an option if you wanted to find the shantung. You can always order the fabric off the internet. I like the idea of short so that you can really have a chance of using again. But if you decide on long, then just pick something than can easily be cut off/hemmed that will still look great. Also, the David's Bridal dress is a great style, and I love the way it looks. thats also a great style for those of us worried about falling out of a dress. However, that's a super simple pattern, and it could be cheaper to have them made. Then you could find the fabric you really like. And the quality would be better (I remember 2 or 3 busted zippers on David's Bridal dresses the day of the wedding at Anne's wedding). Just some ideas. And thanks for keeping me entertained!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMO, I like it when the BM's all have different dresses but are all in the same color scheme. That way, they can pick out a dress that looks good on them, that they'll wear again, and they're following your rules... but you should definitely have fittings or whatever regardless of what you try so you don't have one of those girls who is going to "lose" 15 lbs before your wedding or thinks she's a size 2 when she's really a 12 (or someone like me, who ordered her dress in what she thought was the right size, only it turned out it was a good thing that I had a tonsilectomy right before the wedding so I actually fit in my dress on the day of the wedding when I took it out of the shrinkwrap for the first time.) Don't let your BMs be like me. It's very harrowing when you realize your dress just might now zip up!!! lol.

    ReplyDelete