Monday, April 5, 2010

Miss Manners on weddings

Some wonderful tidbits of opinion and advice from the authority herself, Miss Manners.

"Weddings have become meaningless and, not to say vulgar, and ostentatious. There’s a huge industry promoting that. What drives me crazy is that they’re always promoting expensive things under the name of, “It’s proper to do this,” or “People expect it.” And they’re the very things that are condemned by etiquette, which is not in the business of telling people to go into debt. But the ritual itself, if it could be hacked back to what it’s supposed to be, can be very lovely." Amen, sista.

And this little bit on favors:

"Who told you that you had to give out wedding favors? Etiquette has never thought of weddings as comparable to children’s birthday parties, where the guests might need consolation for not being the center of attention. You owe them only the hospitality of the occasion." Dear Mom, there will not be printed napkins. Miss Manners said so.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE MISS MANNERS!!! I have three of her books at home. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. LOVE love love you. Also, I don't understand wedding favors because I always forget to grab one... I think you should just forgoe them entirely. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Meg about the favors. If someone really wants to take something home, let them take a centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete